The Ghana Baptist Convention which started as a mustard seed is growing into one of the largest denominations in Ghana.
The Convention’s early beginnings are associated with the Nigeria Baptist Convention. Nigeria Baptist brethren who came to Ghana (formerly known as Gold Coast) to trade started the First Baptist Church in Kumasi in 1927. Other Baptist churches were established by these traders in Cape Coast, Sekondi, Suhum, Asamankese, Akwatia, Sefwi-Bekwai, Techiman, and other locations.
They were constituted as the Yoruba Baptist Association in 1935, which made an appeal to both the Nigeria Baptist Convention and the Nigeria Baptist Mission (The Mission was made up of only Southern Baptist Convention missionaries working in Nigeria) to send some missionaries to start Baptist churches among the Ghanaians. This was because the Yoruba Baptist churches were failing to attract Ghanaians into their fold, since Yoruba language was used in all their worship services.
The Nigeria Baptist Mission in response to the request made by the Yoruba Baptist Association sent Rev. and Mrs. H. R. Littleton to Ghana in 1947 to start Baptist Churches among the indigenous people. The Yoruba Baptist Association was renamed Gold Coast Baptist Conference in the same year (1947) to enable the emerging Ghanaian Baptist Churches to be part of the Conference.
Their effort resulted in the establishment of the first indigenous Baptist Church in 1952 at Boamang in the Ashanti Region.
In 1957 when Ghana gained her independence from Britain, the Conference was renamed Ghana Baptist Conference. All this time the Conference was under the Nigeria Baptist Convention.
In 1963 the Nigeria Baptist Convention granted the Ghana Baptist Conference autonomy.
The Conference was renamed Ghana Baptist Convention in January, 1964. The Convention worked in partnership with the International Mission Board (IMB) of the Southern Baptist Convention, U.S.A. until the IMB changed her mission strategy to pursue the people group concept. Thus the IMB’s support to the Convention in terms of personnel and finance tapered from the year 2000 to 2009, when it came to an end.
The Ghana Baptist Mission established the Baptist Medical Centre in Nalerigu in the Northern Region, the Pastors Training School (now Northern Ghana Baptist Theological Seminary) in Tamale, the Sadler Baptist College, (now Kumasi Academy) and the Ghana Baptist Seminary, (now the School of Theology & Ministry of the Ghana Baptist University College) in Abuakwa, near Kumasi.